Browns, Blacks & Kayaks!
Time & Location
About the Event
Enjoy a day outdoors with the Black to the Land Coalition family! Rent a kayak or bring your own, enjoy a plant identification hike or just chill outdoors and catch a vibe. As a note there will be a limited kayaks available for rent. Rental for each trip will be on a first come will be first serve basis. In order to accommodate the number of kayakers we may need to limit kayaking to 1 hour 15 mins on the water. We will also adjust the price to $10.
Proud Lake Recreation Area is located in Commerce Charter Township about 45 minutes northwest of Detroit. Take Wixom RD off 96-W until you see Powers Beach RD. Follow this road pass the cabins until you see a parking lot. The shelter is located to the left of the parking lot. LOOK for Black Balloons!
Guided Trail Paddle on Kayaks @ 2pm & 6pm
Plant ID Hike @ 4pm
New Moon Paddle on Kayaks @ 9:30pm
Kayak rentals are updated to $10 (cash or cashapp). Non-kayakers or those bringing their own kayaks: a gratitude offering of $5 to gift the hike guide and pay for shelter is appreciated. Monies will be collected at the event.
Things to know for event:
- Guided tours will be over an hour. We will have life jackets for water activities.
- Youth under 18 must be accompanied by an adult guardian.
- Kayak participants must be over 10 years of age and must know how to swim.
- All participants must sign the Black to the Land Coalition waiver.
- Bring your own lunch/snacks, water, mask (anyone over age 4), and bug spray. We will be practicing safe, social distancing.
- We have reserved a shelter with grills available. Remember to byoe (bring ya own everything).
- Dress appropriately for each event and weather conditions (for hiking the trail may be wet if it rains earlier so wear appropriate shows for mud. Wear clothes and shoes that you don't mind getting wet during kayaking)
- Reminder that the rented kayaks will be on-the-spot sign-up and may be limited (first come, first serve but our hope is to accommodate everyone). Haevnar rentals are located right nearby if you have to rent. You can visit this link to learn more https://heavnercanoe.com/reservations.
- For up-to-date event info, including any weather-related announcements, please check the Black to the Land Coalition Facebook Page.
- For event questions or helping finding the site, please message us on Facebook.
We look forward to connecting outdoors with you!