BLACK TO THE LAND COALITION
PARTICIPANT AGREEMENT, RELEASE, AND ACKNOWLEDGMENT OF RISK
In consideration of the services of Black to the Land Coalition, their agents, owners, officers, volunteers, participants, employees, and all other persons or entities acting in any capacity on their behalf (hereinafter collectively referred to as “BTTLC”), I hereby agree to release, indemnify and discharge BTTLC, on behalf of myself, my children, my parents, my heirs, assigns, personal representative and estate as follows:
1. I acknowledge that, bicycling, camping, bonfires, kayaking, canoeing, and hiking entails known and unanticipated risks that could result in physical or emotional injury, paralysis, death, or damage to myself, to property, or to third parties. I understand that such risks simply cannot be eliminated without jeopardizing the essential qualities of the activity. The risks include, among other things: boat capsize; tidal conditions and currents; travel in remote areas; collision with objects or other watercraft; prolonged exposure to cold water, hypothermia, accidental drowning; mental anguish or trauma, illness in remote areas; adverse weather conditions, exposure to sun, strong wind, cold storms, large waves, eddies and whirlpools, and lightning; aggressive and/or poisonous marine life; wrist, arm, shoulder, and/or back injuries; slips and falls while hiking; and rapidly changing weather and water conditions. During water events a life vest must be worn at all times. Furthermore, BTTLC guides have difficult jobs to perform. They seek safety, but they are not infallible. They might be unaware of a participant’s fitness or abilities. They might misjudge the weather, the elements, or the terrain. They may give inadequate warnings or instructions, and the equipment being used might malfunction.
2. I expressly agree and promise to accept and assume all of the risks existing in this activity. My participation in this activity is purely voluntary, and I elect to participate in spite of the risks.
3. I hereby voluntarily release, forever discharge, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless BTTLC from any and all claims, demands, or causes of action, which are in any way connected with my participation in this activity or my use of BTTLC equipment or facilities, including any such claims which allege negligent acts or omissions of BTTLC.
4. Should BTTLC or anyone acting on their behalf, be required to incur attorney’s fees and costs to enforce this agreement, I agree to indemnify and hold them harmless for all such fees and costs.
5. I certify that I have adequate insurance to cover any injury or damage I may cause or suffer while participating, or else I agree to bear the costs of such injury or damage myself. I further certify that I am willing to assume the risk of any medical or physical condition I may have.
6. In the event that I file a lawsuit against BTTLC, I agree to do so solely in the state of Michigan, and I further agree that the substantive law of that state shall apply in that action without regard to the conflict of law rules of that state. I agree that if any portion of this agreement is found to be void or unenforceable, the remaining portions shall remain in full force and effect.
7. All participants in BTTLC events must adhere to the State of Michigan COVID-19 Guidelines. Failure to follow guidelines can result in termination of participant’s engagement in BTTLC programming and dismissal from the event.
AUTHORIZATION: I hereby authorize any medical treatment deemed necessary in the event of any injury while participating in the activity. I either have appropriate insurance or, in its absence, agree to pay all costs of rescue and/or medical services as may be incurred on my/our behalf. I agree that any film or photographs of me/us, as participants, become the property of BTTLC and may be used for promotional or commercial purposes. By signing this document, I acknowledge that if anyone is hurt or property is damaged during my participation in this activity, I may be found by a court of law to have waived my right to maintain a lawsuit against BTTLC on the basis of any claim from which I have released them herein. I have had sufficient opportunity to read this entire document. I have read and understood it, and I agree to be bound by its terms.
Print Name: ___________________________________________________ Date: _______________________________
Minors Names: _________________________________________________
Signature of Participant: _______________________________________________________________________________